Where did you get this version number? DISTVERSION=    g20161113

I was trying to follow example 5.13 in the porter's handbook.
However, this particular git tree has only a main branch and no
tags, so it's not a perfect fit.

What about this

PORTNAME=       ufraw-devel PORTVERSION=    g20161113 CATEGORIES=
graphics MASTER_SITES=   GH

MAINTAINER=     free...@dreamchaser.org COMMENT=        Read and
manipulate raw images from digital cameras

LICENSE=        GPLv2

USE_GITHUB=     yes GH_ACCOUNT=     sergiomb2 GH_PROJECT=     ufraw GH_TAGNAME=     6d3259a

.include <bsd.port.mk>

Unfortunately, that yields the same results.
However, thanks for the hints;
I did get it to work as follows:

MASTER_SITES=   https://github.com/sergiomb2/ufraw/archive/
DISTNAME=       master

The link shown on the website for a "Download zip file" is
   https://github.com/sergiomb2/ufraw/archive/master.zip
But the file fetched was
   ufraw-devel/master.tar.gz

$ make fetch
=> Attempting to fetch https://github.com/sergiomb2/ufraw/archive/master.tar.gz fetch: https://github.com/sergiomb2/ufraw/archive/master.tar.gz: size of remote file is not known

However, I'm still puzzled because this method totally ignores all the
special hooks that are supposed to make a git repository work.

This is the wrong way. master.zip is the moving target. If somebody commit something, then master.zip will be different and distinfo will not match.
You need to fetch exact revision from github.
You may clone this repo and make new release on github in your repo.
Or you can fetch master.zip, rename it to something useful and upload somewehere where your Makefile can fetch it.

Miroslav Lachman