On Wed, 19 Sep 2018, the wise RW via freebsd-ports wrote:

I presume that's because you use a restricted set of packages. Without flavor support portupgrade can't always get the port directory from the origin.

The are currently 782 ports installed on this system. Didn't have much difficulties with flavors yet.

That said "in the next few weeks" last year.

I know but developers time is limited. Important thing is that portupgrade generally still works.

--
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
                -- Garrison Keillor