On 2020-08-30 05:14, Adam Weinberger wrote:
On Aug 29, 2020, at 22:37, Pau Amma <paua...@gundo.com> wrote:

On 2020-08-30 00:50, Adam Weinberger wrote:
[major snip]
This is a serious issue that we’ve been dealing with for a long time.
I’ve advocated very strongly for a script that automatically notifies
the maintainer (+/- ports@?) when a port is marked BROKEN and/or
DEPRECATED. Community notification is always a good thing, and it
opens the door for objections and discussion. Nobody has written such
a script, but I would be thrilled to help deploy such a script if
someone writes it.

What would be needed in such a notifier? I imagine it would be called by the post-receive hook in the central git repository-to-be for ports. I'm not very familiar with python or git hooks, but perhaps contrib/hooks/multimail/post-receive.example could be extended or modified and made into (part of) a post-receive hook to:
1- check whether one or more port Makefiles were modified;
2- get from the port Makefiles in step 1 those that have a changed/removed/added BROKEN(_[a-zA-Z0-9_]*)?, DEPRECATED, or EXPIRATION_DATE; 3- email each MAINTAINER= address (for the ports coming out of step 2) using a suitable template.

In my mind, commit hooks are there to perform tasks that the repo
cannot function without, as fragility in a commit hook could bring
down the whole tree. But perhaps I am giving the commit hooks too much
credit here?

Well, git help hook says:

   post-receive
This hook is invoked by git-receive-pack(1) when it reacts to git push and updates reference(s) in its repository. It executes on the remote
       repository once after all the refs have been updated.

       This hook executes once for the receive operation. It takes no
arguments, but gets the same information as the pre-receive hook does
       on its standard input.

This hook does not affect the outcome of git receive-pack, as it is
       called after the real work is done. [...]

But perhaps I'm reading too much about the (lack of) consequences for failures from that specific hook into that.

Perhaps we could sweep the tree at certain intervals and notify
maintainers when a new entry is added.

Perhaps. How is the "comment on Bugzilla PR with commit log message" feature currently implemented? Or how will the git implementation work, if that's different?