On 23.08.2012 21:47, Eitan Adler wrote:
NOT and ONLY are meant for ports which by definition will never work
another arch (think x86info).  In this case the ports are just broken.
That's a fine distinction, that makes little sense to me -- the total number of ports, which can not ever work on some architecture is, probably, a couple dozen... It is also not mentioned in the Handbook <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/dads-noinstall.html> at all:

 *

   If a port should be marked IGNORE only on certain architectures,
   there are two other convenience variables that will automatically
   set IGNORE for you: ONLY_FOR_ARCHS and NOT_FOR_ARCHS. Examples:

   ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= i386 amd64
   NOT_FOR_ARCHS= ia64 sparc64

   A custom IGNORE message can be set using ONLY_FOR_ARCHS_REASON and
   NOT_FOR_ARCHS_REASON. Per architecture entries are possible with
   ONLY_FOR_ARCHS_REASON_/ARCH/ and NOT_FOR_ARCHS_REASON_/ARCH/.

Thus, I still think, using these knobs is better -- especially, when doing otherwise requires splitting bsd.ports.mk into bsd.ports.{pre,post}.mk. Yours,

   -mi