Hi Julian,

sadly I can't reproduce the behavior in poudriere (both mailman and dnspython are builds fine in 10.3 and 12.0), so it is something in your system environment. And as you correctly noted this is something that is controlled by Mk/* files, not the ports itself. Try to start the ports tree from scratch or just use a binary packages. You also can use poudriere for building personalized packages for your system.

PS. Can't say anything about ssl issue. I'm not using openssl from ports.