On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 10:24:19PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> hi,
>
> (this might be a dumb question) does freebsd support mulibyte and/or unicode in
>kernel level?
>
> would it be possible that freebsd support japanese as natively as japanese version
>of ms win98?

It's pretty easy to do some things (although not quite as easy as using
the MS Global IME).  I have a page that covers getting Japanese support
in FreeBSD at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

The FreeBSD section is towards the bottom.
Also, I've only gotten so far as getting it working in X (as opposed to
console) and never did get printing it working correctly, more laziness
on my part than it being impossible.

Quick rundown, you'll need to install a few things from ports and add a
little script to set the language variable.

HTH a little, anyway,

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: Oh. Okay. You and Willow go do the superpower thing, I'll
stay behind and putt around the Batcave with crusty old Alfred
here.
Giles: Ah-ah, no. I am no Alfred, sir. No, you forget. Alfred had
a job.