At Thu, 26 Sep 2002 it looks like Justin P. Michel composed:

> Don't forget to make your device nodes...
>
> (ie. if device comes up as pcm0, go to /dev and, as root "sh MAKEDEV snd0")

Thanks Justin,

You know, as root I did that and NO /dev/snd* was created, the
only thing beginning "sn" is:

[root@corten_laptop: /dev]-> ls -al sn*
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,   6 Sep 26 10:21 sndstat

and the device was spotted at boot with:

[root@corten_laptop: /dev]-> dmesg|grep 4281
pcm0: <Crystal Semiconductor CS4281> irq 5 at device 8.0 on pci0
pcm0: <Crystal Semiconductor CS4281> irq 5 at device 8.0 on pci0

so I also checked for a /dev/pcm*

[root@corten_laptop: /dev]-> ls -al pcm*
ls: pcm*: No such file or directory

and said "what the hell..."

[root@corten_laptop: /dev]-> sh MAKEDEV pcm0
pcm0 - no such device name

So, I'm getting closer here thanks to your help but still can't
figure out the above.

This laptop is triple booted with "Linux/Win2000/FreeBSD" and
this has been the most troublesome thing.

TIA

--
Bill Schoolcraft