On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 12:26:14PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Life support systems require formal proofs of correctness for code;
> since neither Linux nor FreeBSD is formally correct, in total, you
> would need to be insane to deplaoy either of them as, for example,
> a part of an air traffic control system.

I suspect that's a bad example, or that you mean an embedded aircraft
control system.  Ron Reisman and James Murphy gave a fine invited talk
at USENIX 02 (http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix02/tech/#11am) about
the growing number of UNIX components in the US ATC system.  I reject
the conclusion that the FAA is collectively insane for that reason.

Ted Faber                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
USC/ISI Computer Scientist                   http://www.isi.edu/~faber
(310) 448-9190         PGP Keys: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc