On Wednesday 09 October 2002 04:36 pm, Gary W. Swearingen appears to have written:
> Jerry McAllister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Please put your question in the body of your message and limit the
> > subject to jsut a title for your posting.
> > It will make it much easier for people to read your question and
> > to make a helpful response.
>
> I find it easier to read one question in the subject line and not
> have to read something (restated in question form?) in the body.

I don't.  If you are asking for my help, it seems like good strategy
to do what is easiest for me.  Otherwise I'm likely to skip to the
next question and help that person.  It's your decision.

> Please explain your complaint further.  What is the problem?  Do
> people not read Subject lines?  I'm suprised (and somewhat embarassed
> for FreeBSD) to see 3 out of 4 responders jump on the guy about
> something that seems to me good, or at least no worse than trivially
> non-standard.

Not all email programs display the subject line prominently.  In fact,
I used to use one otherwise excellent reader that nearly hid the
subject line.  And it certainly slows me down to have to jump back
and forth from the body of the text to the header information to figure
out what the real question is.

I generally don't bother to answer questions that exist only in the
subject line.  It is a pretty strong indication that someone is going
to need more hand-holding than I have time for.

- Bob