I downloaded the following from gnome.org "bonobo-activation-1.0.3.tgz" and
gunzipped then untarred it and changed to the resulting directory.

When I ran `./configure` it got through most checks fine, except for the
pkg-config ones near the end.  Here is the output:

"... checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking for    gmodule-2.0 >= 2.0.1    ORBit-2.0 >= 2.4.0      linc >= 0.5.1...
 Requested 'ORBit-2.0 >= 2.4.0' but version of ORBit-2.0 is 2.3.109
configure: error: Library requirements ( gmodule-2.0 >= 2.0.1 ORBit-2.0 >=
2.4.0 linc >= 0.5.1) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so
pkg-config can find them."

Once this happened, I went searching simply for a download of the latest
gmodule file but couldn't find anything pertinent!  Since the error above
said to consider adjusting PKG_CONFIG_PATH (currently not set), I read the
manpage for pkg-config:

"pkg-config retrieves information about packages from special metadata
files. These files are named after the package, with the extension .pc. By
default, pkg-config looks in the directory prefix/lib/pkgconfig for these
files;  it will also look in the colon-separated (on Windows, semicolon-
separated) list of directories specified by the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment
variable."

I couldn't find my ..../lib/pkgconfig directory or locate sample
PKG_CONFIG_PATH statements on the web.  Can someone clue me in please?

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder