I am running 4.7 and using an adaptec 2940 PCI card.
I have a HP external scsi tape drive.

While this all works, I noticed the following:

Unless the tape drive is connected to the scsi bus
and TURNED on, when I boot the machine it will not allow
me to later use any tape commands. It returns "device not configured".

Is this normal?

I thought that I would be able to simply connect up the tape drive and power it up whenever I wanted and leave it off and disconnected when not in use.

What am i missing?

--
J.D. Bronson
Aurora Health Care // Information Systems // Milwaukee, WI USA