Are you root when doing the start commands? If you are not root you need to install the wrapper so other users can use X. /usr/ports/x11/wrapper

Richard H

At 12:55 PM 10/17/2002, Thanos Tsouanas wrote:

> > wud it be better to comment out all the ttyv8 lines and start XFree86 as a normal user, and
> then
> > start windowmaker?
> >
> > i really cant make xdm to work...
> > any suggestions?
> >

> There's a thorough HowTo on setting up a display manager (e.g. xdm, kdm,
> ...) here:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html
>
> I can't think of any reason why it won't work if you follow the
> instructions. Note that X *must* load properly for xdm to work properly.
> If you need to test and setup X first, use an xinitrc file, e.g.:
>
> $ echo "exec wmaker" > /home/user/.xinitrc
>
> and then try 'startx'. The Handbook page above should get you going with
> xdm.

i have followed the instructions on the HB and they didnt work, thats why i came up with the
insecure method... startx gives similar errors to the ones mentioned in the original msg.
any ideas why?