On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 10:47:48PM +0100, Stacey Roberts wrote:
Subject: Re: IPFW Rules for samba PDC? [WAS: samba PDC for WIN2K clients?]
From: Stacey Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "D. Penev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: FreeBSD Questions <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 26 Oct 2002 22:47:48 +0100

Hi,
 Thanks for the reply. I should mention that I've made some progress
with my efforts to set up a samba PDC for my Win2K clients.

First of all I am now able to successfully complete all tests in the
recommended "DIAGNOSTICS.TXT" at
http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/DIAGNOSIS.txt, except:-

test 8: On the PC type the command "net view \\BIGSERVER"

Specifically, I am only able to complete this test by using the IP Addr
of the samba server in place of its name. Likewise for test 9 that
follows.

Recapping, I *am* able to serve share dirs to *NIX clients as well as
the Win2K boxes, with the caveat that for the Windows boxes, I have to
use the IP Addr of the samba server. This is not an issue for other
(*NIX) client hosts.

Needless to say, I am not as yet able to have the Win2K boxes join the
domain as described in Chapter 9. (How to Configure Samba 2.2 as a
Primary Domain Controller - 9.4.3. Joining the Client to the Domain.4.3.
Joining the Client to the Domain). I still get the MS error when I click
"OK" after entering the domain as defined in smb.conf.

Hope this presents somewhat a clearer description of the current status
here. Do get back to if you would require more information in assisting
me in resolving this.
From you description of the problem it's looks like that win2k box can't
make resolving of names to ip address. That's why I accent to firewall
because according to you logs ipfw block port 137, which is used to resolve NetBIOS names to IP address. I make a little test and block port
137 on my PDC (Samba 2.2.4 on NetBSD) and results are the same as yours.
If that is true (blocking of netbios-ns port) you PDC can't register
as domain controler, and workstations when is joined to domain can't find
who is PDC for this domain.
What are you firewall rules?
What's show "nbtstat -A YOU_SAMBA_SERVER" and "nbtstat -c" on win2k box?

Thanks

On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 22:26, D. Penev wrote:
On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 07:33:58PM +0100, Stacey Roberts wrote:
>Subject: IPFW Rules for samba PDC? [WAS: samba PDC for WIN2K clients?]
>From: Stacey Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Andrew Boothman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> FreeBSD Questions <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 21 Oct 2002 19:33:58 +0100
>
>Hello,
> I'd appreciate some help from anyone who's got samba 2.2.6 running
>on FreeBSD as a PDC for Win2K client wkstations, please.
>
>I'm trying to following the SAMBA How-To at:
>http://samba.epfl.ch/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#AEN60
>but fail at the smbclient -L <PDC host> stage:
>
># smbclient -L -N Demon
>added interface ip=192.168.1.8 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
>Packet send failed to 192.168.1.255(137) ERRNO=Permission denied
>Connection to -N failed
># >
>I get these entries in /var/log/security:
>Oct 21 19:31:08 Demon /kernel: ipfw: 910 Deny UDP <My IP>:2308
><net.255>:137 out via sis0

You firewall blocks packets to port 137 (netbios-ns). That's
why you can access samba server with ip address and not by name.

--
Regards,
D. Penev

Stacey Roberts