At 12:03 PM -0500 10/28/02, Vivek Khera wrote:
> [...]

 but I have not enabled CUPS in samba at all.  Does anyone know what I
 need to do to migrate successfully from samba 2.2.5 to 2.2.6?  Here's
 my config:
DN> When you did the install, you probably just skipped that options dialog
DN> that came up, right?  All the options on that page are "select to
DN> enable", except CUPS which is "select to _disable".  Rebuild samba, and
DN> select the "Without CUPS" line.  Quite annoying.  I work around it by
DN> adding WITHOUT_CUPS=yes in /etc/make.conf, and setting BATCH=yes in
DN> net/samba/Makefile.

CUPS is linked in both 2.2.5 and 2.2.6, but in 2.2.6 it seems to want
to actually *use* it even though I don't configure it.

Also, if I select the "Disable CUPS" flag, all it accomplishes is to
not register the dependency.  CUPS is still linked for some reason.

Does your smbd have cups linked (as reported by ldd)?
Be a little careful here.  It sounds like you:

  1) installed samba-with-cups
     a) which by definition would install CUPS, if you did
        not already have it installed.

  2) backed off to previous version of samba
     a) which backs out the version of *samba* that was installed,
        but probably does not back out versions of any other
        ports which were installed while installing a new samba.

  3) installed samba-without-cups
     a) ...but CUPS is probably still installed.
     b) if so, the configure scripts for samba will notice that
        CUPS is on the machine, and will probably use it.  This
        would be the correct behavior, IMO, because if you *do*
        have CUPS installed then samba *should* use it.

Some of that is just guessing on my part, but it sounds pretty
plausible.  I would suggest that you see if CUPS is installed.
Also check to see if it is a recent install.  If so, then
/usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall cups
and then try the samba-without-cups install once again.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]