Howdy peeps,

I've got a not-so-quick question for ya:

I have a Sony AIT tape drive (one of the nifty 4 tape autoloaders): TSL-SA300C

It has a nice little display on the front that indicates the tape's "wound"
status. When the tape is fully rewound, the bar graph is full. When the tape
is fully recorded, or wound, the bar graph is empty.

Is there any way that I can detect this programmatically? I would like my
scripts to be intelligent enough that they can approximate the size required
for a dump, and the size left on the tape.

(I would also like to detect which tape I have loaded at any given point, but
I suspect that is outside the bounds of standard SCSI communication. I'd
probably need some proprietary code to do this...)

When I use the 'mt' command with 'rdspos' I get a block number. Would this
number be useful in determining how wound the tape is? If so, how would I go
about interpreting this as a percentage or as a byte volume?

I'm from the windows world, so I'm not very familiar with block sizes. I
understand bytes though, so if I can translate the block number I'll be
alright.

Feel free to throw programming concepts and code at me. I'm a proficient
programmer. (I just don't know what the heck a SCSI logical block is)

Thanks!

Matthias