> I've done this now with NO_OPENSSH=true in make.conf, but I *still* get
> errors!

I had the exact same results when I tried NO_OPENSSH=true. Kernel
                                                          ^World
wouldn't compile. Seems like kernel is broken with NO_OPENSSH=true.
                            ^World
Compile with OPENSSH and use sshd_program="/usr/local/sbin/sshd" at ur
rc.conf if you are trying to use the new sshd. U will also need to
change the PATH so that /usr/local/..... comes first. Its not the proper
way but still, its a workaround. :-)))