On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 08:37:50AM -0500, Brian McCann wrote:
> I'm using Xmanager...it has SSH connection support built into it.  I
> will be trying what you all suggested shortly and post my results.
> Thanks all!
>
> --Brian
>

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:20:31PM -0500, Brian McCann wrote:
> > No go.  Tried host:0.0, host:0, nothing worked...still ran on the
> > console.  I am starting up X windows using "startx"...should I be
> > using something different?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Brian

<snip>
> Actually I think that $DISPLAY should be set ot :0.10 (as the default
> offset) to have the xsession forwarded over the ssh connection. This, if
> I recall correctly will be related to the way you start your ssh.
>
> I have a feeling that some windows ssh clients need to be explicity told
> to forward X in order to tell the sshd that $DISPLAY needs to be
> appropriately set.
>
> If you set $DISPLAY manually it will not forward over the ssh
> connection.  Which ssh client are you using?

I erred.  ssh will generate a $DISPLAY with an offset of the form :10.0

You may want to set the "Obtain a Display number automatically"
check box, and keep an eye on the output of the execution progress/result

sshd sets up a $DISPLAY with an offset so as not to interfere with
and X servers runningon the machine you are connecting to.

Probaby what you want to do (as someone else suggested) is
run startkde as you already have an X server (on you local machine)
running.  I think that in the Execution Command a straight
startkde should suffice, rather than from an xterm.

--kit

--
whois -h whois.gandi.net KM78-GANDI