On Monday 28 March 2005 05:12 pm, well sun wrote:
>        I had install the freebsd5.3 with custom setup and only install
>    the source code and base, not install xorg and perl. Then I use cvsup
>    to upgrade stable source code and current ports. After doing these, I
>    want to install the kde3 and gnome2. But I found when I use the
>    pkg_add command, freebsd will go to the directory under "5.3-release",
>    it is older than the installation using "make install clean" command.

Well, yeah. But you're really conflating two different things.

Packages are built from the ports tree at a certain point in time, the
packages for 5.3-RELEASE were built when 5.3 was released. The packages for
5-STABLE are built every so often (Not sure of when or how often). Packages
are nice because they take minimal time to install, since they basically need
to just be unpacked, but the tradeoff is out of date software. Packages have
nothing to do with cvsuping the ports tree.

Ports on the other hand are built from source, and the ports tree is updated
all the time and that's what you get when you cvsup the ports, but you get
the most up to date software. The downside is you have to compile the
software that you want to upgrade or install, which takes a while.

>    For example, when I use pkg_add xorg, it will install 6.7 version.
>    When I use "make install clean", it will install 6.8.2 version.

Right. because the package was built when 5.3 was released and xorg 6.7 was
the current version.  When you do 'make install clean' xorg is built from the
current source and therefore gets the newer version.

>    How  can I make them to install same versions?

You can't. They're two different things (package vs, port)

>    Another question is, when I
>    install the xorg-clients, it give me a error message that "libc.so.6"
>    not found, and many reference to *GL.so not found, how can I fix it? I
>    had get the latest X11R7-src{1,2,3}.tar.bz2.

If you installed xorg-clients from a package you might be installing an older
package on a newer OS. build x11/xorg from ports (cd x11/xorg; make && make
insstall && make clean) and it should, generally, Just Work(tm).

See the Packages and Ports chapter in the handbook for more:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html