On Mar 29, 2005, at 5:56 PM, Mac Mason wrote:
Specifically, much of the use of this machine is in unwired sorts of
places, where I want to use the wi0 interface and not the xl0 interface.

If I don't have xl0 in /etc/rc.conf, and then dhclient wi0, it works
fine.

If I do have xl0 in rc.conf, I can't figure out how to make wi0 route
things if it isn't plugged into a wire.

Try: route delete default route add default IP_of_wireless_NIC

It may be that deleting the default route first, before you grab a lease via "dhclient wi0" would also set up a new default route for you...

--
-Chuck