> No, I was referring to the additional modularity and stability made
> possible by the additional abstraction of a HAL.

Please explain this to me - I have had a lot of experience in OS design,
and would like you, who obviously from you remarks, have extensive OS
design knowledge, point out to me how a HAL makes an OS inherintly more
stable than a system that writes its drivers for a particular peice of
hardware, without pretence it will cope with differetn pieces of
hardware?