Okay, I was able to duplicate your problem. It is due to the output of 'ps'
being truncated to 80 columns, the default terminal size. You are likely
running a wide terminal display on your interactive session (as I do)
yep, TeraTerm on Windows, very wide display.

but cron will see the default 80 column terminal. This is the difference between the two.
ugh, amazing!

Try running 'ps' using the -w flag (wide column mode):

  if ( ps -auxw | grep -iq "^root.*master" ) ; then

I've tested this and it works.
here, too, thanks!!

Len