Roland, thanks.  Kris, I'd read "man devfs", but couldn't wrap my head
around it in the time available.  The comments in this email are for
the benefit of future readers.

I solved my issue my implementing a ruleset as Roland had suggested in
his webpage, and applied the ruleset.  And yes, the man page helped me
through this process.

*****
/etc/devfs.rules

[chuck_usb=10]
add path 'da*' mode 0660 group usb
add path 'cua*' mode 0666
*****
/etc/rc.conf

# Set the default devfs ruleset.
devfs_system_ruleset="chuck_usb"
*****
This is a sample of what I did at the commandline.

# /sbin/devfs rule -s 10 add path 'cua*' mode 0666
# /sbin/devfs ruleset 10 apply
# ls -laF /dev/cua*
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   12, 152 Apr  2 14:00 /dev/cuaU0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   12, 155 Apr  1 00:38 /dev/cuaU0.init
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   12, 154 Apr  1 00:38 /dev/cuaU0.lock
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12,  70 Apr  1 00:38 /dev/cuad0
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12,  65 Apr  1 00:38 /dev/cuad0.init
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12,  64 Apr  1 00:38 /dev/cuad0.lock

I wasn't able to correctly "add path" directly.

#devfs add path 'cua*' mode 0666
devfs: unknown command: add

# devfs rule add path 'cua*' mode 0666
devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RADD: Input/output error

Now I can hotsync and backup my Palm with Kpilot.  Yay!