Thank you for your reply,

When I installed CUPS (make && make install), it defaulted to ghostscript-gnu-7.07_12. After that, I installed Gimp-print. To get the printer working, I used the web-based admin system (http://localhost:631) and chose the 600/600c series printer drivers (CUPS+Gimp-Print). This resulted in retardedly-slow prints. After posting the email, I then tried the HP DeskJet 600/600C - CUPS+Gimp-Print drivers and it has the same problem. I do not see any other options to choose for this printer in the dialogue I am given.

Are you suggesting that CUPS should use ESP Ghostscript as opposed to the one it defaults to? If so, how do I go about doing this? I have not installed any PPDs manually (I relied on Gimp-Print).

Maybe, make sure you installed the correct driver-there are two; a
high resolution, (something like 3K dots per inch, and it will only do
3K dots per inch, which makes it very slow,) and a driver that uses
the CUPS specific version of ghostscript, ESP ghostscript, (the other
drivers require all of gimp-print to be installed.)

The ESP ghostscript drivers end with a -ijs extension, and that's
probably the one you want.

Look at the ppd file you installed in probably /usr/share/cups/model/
for something like:

    *cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"

and see if there is anything in the file ending with -ijs.

    John

BTW, this solved the same thing on my Epson Photo Stylus 780. Maybe
your problem, too.

--

John Conover, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.johncon.com/