NMH wrote:
[ ... ]
 For shame. A "your question is too dumb to have
written to our mailing list"? I hope you are not
trying to represent the great open arms of FreeBSD and
the questions mailing list. My Question is quite
appropriate for either list. Nor should someone even
be given the feeling their questions are too basic to
bother us with! (unless your aim is to drive people
away)

If we were using Usenet rather than mailing lists, I would agree with your position more-- article cross-posting would be handled without duplication of resources, and newsreader software would handle xposting so that people only read one copy, even if they are subscribed to both newsgroups.

This is not the case with mailing lists.

The reason why this thread isn't really appropriate to freebsd-hardware is because it concerns how the filesystem architecture works in general, on any type of device from a hard drive, to a floppy drive, to a USB pen device.

However, I was hoping someone could point me more
towards a white paper or some such other information.

Sure. Try looking at:

   zcat /usr/share/doc/smm/05.fastfs/paper.gz | less
   zcat /usr/share/doc/papers/diskperf.ascii.gz | less

Kirk McKusick also wrote a book on this topic, if you want more information.

However, a point to consider is that if you do some benchmarks for yourself using your hardware in the circumstances you care about, you will get better numbers for your situation than you do looking at generalizations, averages, or specific results from some other hardware being tested in some way that may or may not resemble your workload.

--
-Chuck