Randi Harper wrote:

On Friday 22 April 2005 10:55 am, Brian McCann wrote:

I tried, but I ended up returning the enclosures. I had a problem
where anytime I would output lots of data to the drive (say 2 PCs
copying a 4gb file to it), the drive would "dissapear" and hang the
system. Happened on both Windows and FreeBSD though. IIRC, it was
the newer Prolific chipset.

Don't top post!

What she said! :-D

I had the same problem, btw. I have a USB HD enclosure, I forget what chipset. Any time I transfered large amounts of data, it would lock my entire system. Fun stuff. I switched to firewire. The performance is heaps better, and I haven't had any problems with it (yet).

Randi Harper

I've not had any problems save these:

As OP mentioned, my system only seems to run at 1.0 speeds, and
this is a bit of a bummer on large transfers (which is what I intended
for its primary use --- backups).

Kernel options MSDOSFS_LARGE is experimental and advised to
only be r/o.  I tend to use 180/200 GB FAT32 drives in these enclosures,
and that doesn't work unless you have kernel compiled this way, so
I'm stuck needing to use MSDOSFS's that are < 128 GB.  If you've had
trouble, you might look at your kernel config...?

Lastly, I've got the thing opened in front of me, and D*#$&# if I
know what chipset it is.... :-D

Kevin Kinsey