I solved my own problem a while back and neglected to post my solution. I hate it when people do that to me. :)

My original post is here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-November/064038.html

The summary is simply this: when rebuilding a mirror on a 3ware 7000-2, the rebuild would crap out with a vague disk error message. Doing a dump on the volume uncovered a couple of read errors.

Solution:

The read errors were killing the rebuild process. The hard disk's built-in SMART error correction was not kicking in though, because it only corrects bad sectors on a write. I tried to fix the disk with fsck, but the damage was too low-level, I guess...

Anyway, I deleted the files with read errors--luckily they were trivial--and then copied a load of files to the partition to fill up the empty space. This triggered a SMART sector repair--I verified that with a SMART checker from ports.

Once the bad sectors were remapped, I was able to rebuild my array.

Hope this helps someone!

--
***** I am Matt Staroscik and I approved this message. ******
[EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://wrongcrowd.com * 4 8 15 16 23 42