Philip Hallstrom wrote:
Is there a way to determine exactly what a particular port will install on my machine?

Doing a `make pretty-print-run-depends-list` will show me all of its requirements... but I am interested in the difference between its requirements and what I already have on my machine. If I have 7 out of the 10 requirements.... I would like the remaining 3 listed for me.

Is there something in place which provides this?

The "portupgrade" port can do this.  Something like...

portupgrade -n -Rr someport

The -n tells it not to do anything, just show you what it would do.

The -r and -R tell it to upgrade any dependencies in both directions.

At the end it will print out a little summary of what ports it needs to upgrade, what needs installed, and what you've already got.
This sounds like what I'm looking for... so I tried it. But its giving me difficulties.

I am using `portupgrade -nN -rR "x11-fm/rox-filer"` for example. I know I have most, but not all, of what is needed by rox-filer. I was hoping to see a concise list of things I am missing (and would therefore be installed). In my example I used the `-N` switch because the man page sounded like that what was needed when the port is not currently installed (which is my situation).

But portupgrade reports
--->  Session started at: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:23:07 -0500
Install 'x11-fm/rox-filer'? [no]
--->  Session ended at: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:23:07 -0500 (consumed 00:00:00)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

-philip

--