Bill Schmitt (SW) wrote:

I have a FreeBSD 4.9 system on a private network, connected to the internet through a Netgear router/firewall which acts as a DHCP server and receives its names through netbios. I'm trying to set it to respond to the fully qualified name "schfrbsd.lan". In my rc.conf, I have the line:

hostname="schfrbsd.lan"

I've also tried adding a dot to the end of it:

hostname="schfrbsd.lan."

Whatever I do, I cannot get the machine to register itself on the network (though Samba) as schfrbsd.lan. It always shows up as schfrbsd. "hostname -s" returns the same value.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Bill

Though it shouldn't be needed, you could try to set Sambas netbios name. See smb.conf(5) for more details.

// Tobias Fendin