Chuck and Jerry, thank you so much.

Chuck - I'm going to take your advice on setting up some kind of mirror, software RAID or whatever, thanks.

Jerry - that breakdown of how you would allocate space was amazing - seriously, a better division and a better explanation than anything I've found in the FreeBSD books.

The idea of allocating almost the entire 2nd drive to /spill is great, that will give me all the flexibility I need, brilliant! Some

> One more thing to think about is the possibility of creating a raid (mirror)
> for critical things. That would give you some security in case of a
> disk crash. In that case you would need to put your critical stuff
> on the smaller drive and carve out an identical size piece on the large
> one to be its mirror partner. Check out vinum(8). That, of necessity,
> would make your allocation scheme look quite different.

Can I provide that space from within /spill i.e. without having to set up a seperate partition, or would I be better off just creating an 80GB partition for that on the 2nd drive, to be named and mounted as soon as I learn enough to implement RAID/mirroring/Vinum?

That would leave me with the following:

On the 80 GB drive
  /root    1 GB
  swap     2.5 GB
  /tmp     2 GB
  /usr     5 GB
  /var     5 GB
  /home    All the rest

On the 200 GB drive
  swap     2.5 GB
  /mirror  Same size as the actual size of the 1st disk, 65GB or whatever.
  /spill   All the rest

Does that make sense?

I guess that, as my usage grows, I'll be shifting things over with a mind to both disk use balance and space, do you reckon those factors will be fairly easy to work out? From your suggestion that I can symlink stuff over to /spill with a reasonably fine granularity i.e. /var/spool and/or /var/db etc, I get the impression that it will be.

Do symlink cause any sort of performance hit? Or rather, any meaningful performance hit?

Thanks,

Donnacha