On May 24, 2005, at 6:40 PM, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

On May 24, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Lisa Casey wrote:

Hi,

I want to move all of the mailboxes (all of /var/mail/*) on one machine to another one across a network. I need to preserve permissions, uid's and gud's. (It would probably be good to preserve modification times as well). I can move a file using scp, but it doesn't preserve uid/gid

Can't you  just do

cd /var/mail
tar cpf /tmp/var_mail.tar *

scp /tmp/var_mail.tar [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

ssh to the new host

cd /var/mail
rm -rf * # if you want to clean out the existing /var/mail on the new machine
tar xpf ~user:var_mail.tar

sorry  typo above

should be

tar xpf ~user/var_mail.tar