On Jun 1, 2005, at 4:01 PM, Bill Moran wrote:

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC said:

On Jun 1, 2005, at 8:07 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

I've been looking into ways of improving our spam filtering.
Currently I'm running postfix with amavisd-new (spamassassin and
clamav), and saw an article on greylisting using postgrey.  Turns
out there's a port for it already in FreeBSD.

I don't run postifx and the thing I am about to mention I have not
tried yet, but you may want to explore modifying your greylisting to
be based on spamassassin results.

I use exim as the mta and there is a thing called sa-exim that lets
you run spamassassin at SMTP time so that you can reject mail if you
want before you actually are finished receiving it. The author of sa-
exim has modified it to do greylisting based on spamassassing scores
generated at smtp time, so that you only greylist mail that is
thought to be spam and do not inconvenience your regular users.

Can you do spamassassin at smtp time with postfix?

Yes you can. I recommend this. The postfix docs explain how to do it:
http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_PROXY_README.html

I've used this technique and find it very helpful, as it makes bounce
messages (caused by spam and viruses) nonexistent.

So, can you conditionally call the post_grey stuff based on this smtp- time spamassassin results?

That would allow you to do what I described above, which allows you to minimize the downside of greylisting.

Thanks bill!

Chad