Hello all,

After issuing many make options to mplayer when installing, I noticed today that it can be updated. If I were to do a portupgrade -arR, would it remember the various options? I am sure this is a common question, but I could not find a resolute solution after reading the handbook and doing some searching online. I found that the primary answer is that portupgrade cannot deal with this. What I have found is that one can configure the MAKE_ARGS in pkgtools.conf somehow. I have also found that there is some other tool (penv) that is used to help out with this as well. What way is recommended? I know some ports save this configuration information in /var/db/ports/ (I am pretty sure that's the directory)... how can one force a port to save such information? Or, is mimicking those files one other way of doing what it is I wish? Any and all information on this would be greatly appreciated. I checked the man page with pkgtools.conf and did not see anything helpful. Thank you all for your assistance with this.

-Anthony