On Jun 6, 2005, at 1:59 PM, Kövesdán Gábor wrote:
The following message has been often repeating in my messages log:

Jun 6 19:24:38 server kernel: arplookup <here is an ip addr> failed: host is not on local network

I know what arp is, and I understand this message, but I don't know what causes it, but it annoys me, and I'd like to remove it from my log, since it doesn't make any severe error, and I would like compendious log files. Do You have any idea?

It generally means that one or more of your hosts do not agree on what the subnet mask should be. You should look into and fix this problem; layer-2 problems can result in remarkable and unexpected network behavior sometimes...

--
-Chuck