Could someone point me in the right direction to create a network server
that scans networks systems for Virus and acts on the viruses accordingly.

I have a FreeBSD system that I would like to turn into a virus scanner
(among other things) but I don't know how or what scanners are available
and/or recommended.

http://clamav.net/

 A GPL virus scanner featuring:

    * command-line scanner
    * fast, multi-threaded daemon
    * milter interface for sendmail
    * database updater with support for digital signatures
    * virus scanner C library
    * on-access scanning (Linux and FreeBSD)
    * detection of over 35000 viruses, worms and trojans
* built-in support for RAR (2.0), Zip, Gzip, Bzip2, Tar, MS OLE2, MS Cabinet files, MS CHM (Compressed HTML), MS SZDD
    * built-in support for mbox, Maildir and raw mail files
* built-in support for Portable Executable files compressed with UPX, FSG, and Petite

Clam AntiVirus is a GPL anti-virus toolkit for UNIX. The main purpose of this software is the integration with mail servers (attachment scanning). The package provides a flexible and scalable multi-threaded daemon, a command line scanner, and a tool for automatic updating via Internet. The programs are based on a shared library distributed with the Clam AntiVirus package, which you can use with your own software. Most importantly, the virus database is kept up to date .