Frantisek Rysanek wrote:

Thanks a lot to Mr. Zbyslaw.
You're welcome.

A local friend has suggested to increase the block size to newfs, or something along those lines - essentially to
decrease the FS overhead and the size of the "blockmap".
I haven't tried that but I guess it sounds reasonable
- may make sense on machines where you just can't get
enough RAM or are not willing to grant it all to a single
process.
It ought also make sense if you are serving up *large* files (didn't you say video/audio?). I'm planning to do some tests at some point to see what difference different block/fragment sizes make to performance, but haven't found the time yet. I don't have anything on your scale (23Gb of document database pales into insignificance against 12Tb :-) ) but I haven't found any specific numbers anywhere.

If you're interested, check out the -b and -f options to newfs. The defaults are 16k/2k. Decreasing the number of inodes would definitely make sense (see -i). The -N option ought to show you what would happen without actually doing anything.

--Alex