Wojciech Puchar wrote:

i'm using different unices for 7 years and excluding few cases i never made other partitioning scheme than 2 partitions: swap and /

i have no problems like "there's out of space in partition x while plenty of y".
it's far easier to do backups too (single dump).

If it works for you, that's fine -- do it.  It doesn't work for me because:

1) Runaway processes, idiot users and misconfiguration errors can and do fill disks. I have experienced this recently on a Linux box (usually stupid two partition scheme of / and /boot) where valuable data was lost when a disk filled. Had stuff been partitioned better, no valuable data need have been lost.

2) If you have one partition then you are forced to use the same backup scheme for everything. I don't much care about backing up /, /usr, /var or even /usr/local because almost everything on those partitions is re-created pretty easily just by re-installing. Any machine sensitive data can have master copies on e.g. /home which I can back up daily.

3) Disk drive capacities have grown much faster than tape drive capacities. With partitioned disks I can fit dumps of single partitions on a single tape which makes tape management much easier.

--Alex