Steve Bertrand wrote:

I know this technique isn't feasable in all situations, but I try to
have duplicate hardware. Especially with my IDE RAID1 servers, I'll from
time to time during a maintenance window pop one of the RAID disks out,
throw it in another box and ensure BOTH machines boot up with individual
disks.

This is a sure test to ensure RAID is working. Mind you, I also back up
using rsync for critical stuff to another box, and to tape as well.
Luckily we did the rsync and tape stuff (though it hasn't been needed yet). I guess you need not just the spare hardware (which is possible if you have more than one server to start with and two can come out at the same time) but the maintenance window to a) pop the disk and then b) rebuild the RAID afterwards. At least, I'm assuming that the RAID-1 is just going to treat the disk you pop back in as of unknown status and re-mirror it.

Good thoughts, thanks,

--Alex