Louis LeBlanc wrote:

On 06/23/05 10:02 PM, Björn König sat at the `puter and typed:

The -p stands for "pre-buildworld mode", i.e. you should run it before buildworld. ;-)

Uh, careful.  My copy of the FreeBSD handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html)
says to do it this way:

# make buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# reboot

[...]

After installkernel finishes successfully, you should boot in single
user mode (i.e. using boot -s from the loader prompt). Then run:

# mergemaster -p
# make installworld
# mergemaster
# reboot

Indeed.

I read the mergemaster script partially and deceided that it won't hurt to run 'mergemaster -p' before 'make buildworld'; and I think that this way is the intention of the author of mergemaster too. If I'm mistaken then somebody should state the description in mergemaster(8) more precisely. I think it is confusing to call it 'pre-buildworld mode' if it would be better to execute this command after 'make buildworld' in general. I prefer looking into manpages than into the handbook.

Björn

P.S.: I CC'd Doug Barton who wrote most parts of mergemaster.