Brett Glass wrote:
I have heard (though I have no direct experience with it) that the 3Ware
controllers bog the system down terribly when re-mirroring. Also, these
controllers are probably optimized for RAID 5 rather than simple mirroring.
Do you know if Promise or Adaptec has something that just mirrors?

I've actually had very good luck with both the 7006-2 and 8006-2, both of which only do RAID 1 and 0. I've only had to rebuild once with the 7006, and I didn't notice a performance hit during the rebuild process.

The main reason I recommend and use 3ware over Adaptec is the excellent driver support and the administration utilities that are available (both CLI and web-based).

Mike