On 6/28/2005 10:16 PM Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

On Jun 28, 2005, at 9:35 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:

It looks, i'm not sure, like they're not vaild file names.

They appear like valid filenames to me (and like the names you get with courier for messages)

The issue is that tar is getting a file list and then the user is downloading (POP) or deleting or changing the status of a message (like reading it -- the filename itself encodes the read, deleted, etc status of a message) before tar actually archives it. Or something like that. The file system is changing out from underneath the OP.

make a snapshot first if this is an issue.

Chad

Thank you and Norberto for your replies. Your explanations make sense for most cases but I don't think it applies to mine. This is a small home system and the only mail users are myself and my wife. Thus I had the luxury of stopping courier-imap and trying tar again. Same errors.

Also, I don't think I can make a snapshot since I am on version 4.11. Ironically, I'm trying to get good backups so I can blow away my system and install version 5.4. :)

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Drew

--