On Jun 29, 2005, at 1:53 PM, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
It appears that the syslogger does a link (ln -s) from /var/run/log to /dev/log and that inside a jail you cannot do this. However, you can set it in the base system's version of the jail file system. I don't know if it stays around after reboots or what and what the effect is -- probably m akes jail messages go into its own log file but I have not done more than make the link and try to google (without a lot of success) on the issue

syslogd -l can set up additional logging sockets:

-l Specify a location where syslogd should place an additional log socket. The primary use for this is to place additional log sockets in /var/run/log of various chroot filespaces. File per- missions for socket can be specified in octal representation before socket name, delimited with a colon. Path to socket loca-
             tion must be absolute.

If you are using jails, I would gather that you normally would be running a separate syslogd within that jail, but this approach provides another option...

--
-Chuck