On Jul 1, 2005, at 6:02 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:

On 7/1/05, Bart Silverstrim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[deleted]

While proposing ways to stop people from sending test messages to
lists, can someone find a way to filter out top posting as well? :-)

I'm not trying to stop anybody. I'm purposing ping for SMTP, The
construct is like an echo request. So when you send a blank message
with a subject such as test or ping the mail server replies to the
email saying it got the email. The mail server that acknowledges this
email would be whatever was listed in the DNS MX record of the email
address that was entered in the to: field. So if I ping the email
address [EMAIL PROTECTED] then {mx1,mx2}.freebsd.org replies back
to say it got the message. I think this could be a useful diagnostic
tool.

First, I was just semi-jesting to the group in general, not singling you out... Second, I think it kind of goes against the spirit of simplicity to add a form of "ping" to the SMTP protocol. Third, while it may work in this particular case with this particular setup, there are many variations of mailing lists and servers where this might break...i.e., this setup, to me, sounds very situation-specific. I.e., people who have servers that accept mail before actually delivering it...your diagnostic proposal adds some layer of complexity that in the end may not tell the entire story just for some people to see if their test message "works", when 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't sit and read directions in the first place to do this.

Actually, fbsd_user is right; wouldn't sending tests only test if you
can send test messages to the test group while not at all verifying
that membership and configuration is correct for posting and getting
messages to and from the FBSD-questions list?

No the mail all goes to the same server. When you subscribe to the
group the mail server send you a confirmation email that you must
reply to and then it sends a welcome email.

That alone should be enough to tell you that you're subscribed and should be working.

What exactly is the poster trying to test? That messages appear in their inbox on sending, that other people can read their message? In those cases, your ping proposal wouldn't work. If they got to the point where they confirm joining, that tells you it should all be working. The "test" message is more like a tentative "anybody out there?" message...which could be better served, in my opinion, by actually sending a question or sitting back to see when a message comes in from other people to your inbox.

I think the more intelligent approach to "test" the connection would be
to actually send some kind of question a new user would have about
FreeBSD to the list as a sly way of testing the configuration, but
that's just me.

What about this?

Um...sure...what about what about it? (your reply here means...what are you trying to say here?)

Happy holidays to anyone on the list who happens to have a holiday coming up, by the way... :-)