On Jul 3, 2005, at 6:23 PM, Alan Curtis wrote:

I do need some clear instructions. I tried djbdns without success (see another post) and also the instructions under 'Domain Name System (DNS)' in the FreeBSD Handbook.

I added named_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf. Used the default configuration file without any zone (as suggested in the Handbook). There is no 'ndc' on my machine. I assume I must use 'rndc' instead. Ran 'rndc start' and was told

rndc: connect failed: connection refused

Saw nothing in /var/log/messages or /var/log/console.log

Alan

On FreeBSD 5.x, I use "/etc/rc.d/named {start | stop | restart}" for controlling BIND.

Ken Ebling