Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

On 2005-07-06 10:27, Bob Willcox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I need to reinstall the FreeBSD bootmanager on one of my systems and
was hoping someone can point me in the right direction on doing this.
I tried running /sbin/sysinstall but decided that I wasn't confident
enough of what I was doing to risk trashing my install.

Its easy.  Just run boot0cfg with the right options :-)

        # boot0cfg -B -v /dev/ad0
Depending on the disk and the bootable partitions you might also want "-o packet"

packet Use the disk packet (BIOS INT 0x13 extensions) interface, as opposed to the legacy (CHS) interface, when doing disk
                    I/O.  This allows booting above cylinder 1023, but
                    requires specific BIOS support.  The default is
                    `nopacket'.

I believe sysinstall may do this (whether always, or just under specific conditions, I cannot say, but when I used boot0cfg without -o packet, I couldn't boot partitions which I could boot after a sysinstall).

You can also use sysinstall (as you suggested). I posted instructions a few weeks back so a search should turn them up, if you need them.

--Alex