Chris Roos wrote:

Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

Chris Roos wrote:

One final question is whether the dump/restore process is the best approach in this instance? I have read about using dd but am not entirely sure whether this would do what I need?

No, you should use dump/restore and if it is the root partition you will need to edit fstab afterwards.

Can I just double check that the editing of fstab is only applicable if my device names change?

Correct. If the device will end up on the same controller and logical position (master, slave, whatever) then you do not need to edit it. However, if you plan to reboot the machine and just boot off the new disk without changing its position first, then edit fstab. You can always edit it back again before moving the hardware around.

--Alex