RW wrote:

On Thursday 07 July 2005 18:27, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
1Gb just because it's peanuts to a 200Gb disk, and I don't bother with
/tmp separately.

I use one because, by default, / is mounted without soft-updates. It is possible to turn it on, but for the sake of a few hundred MB it seems sensible to go with the default of a separate partition.
If I ran a machine with users on it, I might agree :-) But there's just me and I set TMP and TMPDIR to /var/tmp which many programs used to pick up on when I first set them years ago. sort does, for e.g. and that was always a tmp killer in the kind of environments I worked in. Plus *I* know to use /var/tmp.

Nowadays my /tmp has a small number of sockets and gubbins so I doubt softupdates would make any perceivable difference to me.

Horses for courses,

--Alex