On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 at 15:09 (-0700), Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

No, I am saying your going to have to rebuild with the June drivers and _see_if_it_works_.

If that locks up, well then as Nvidia wrote those drivers, you can call them on their support line. Please report back here and let us know how this works out - a lot of people are avoiding purchasing that chipset or boards with that chipset because Nvidia don't supply programming info, and nobody really knows how well Nvidia is going to support us.

Ted,

Here's a followup report on the resolution of my video card problem.

Review:

The card I got with my new machine was an Nvidia GeForce 6600 (at least that's how the system identifies it at boot time). The system would lock up once X windows was running, but with no error messages and not until X had been up at least for a while.

After downloading the most current Nvidia driver for this card, building a new kernel with 'device agp' removed and telling xorg.conf to use the nvidia agp support, the symptoms still didn't change!

Resolution:

So, I talked to the vendor who sold me the machine and card and he sent me another card that's not quite as fast - a GeForce FX 5200. I rebooted with the original (GENERIC) kernel, configured my xorg.conf with parameters for my monitor (Samsung ScanMaster 213T), using 1600x1200 resolution, and it all seems to work.

Although I suppose I might have gotten the 6600 to work, I don't know how. And using the 5200 card even without the tuning of xorg.conf still didn't give system lockup problems, just sub-optimal screen resolution. So, it would appear that the 6600 card is currently not supported under FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE, unless there's just something else I don't know about.

Thus, I'm returning the 6600 card and getting a rebate for the difference in price.

That's where it stands now.  I have a working system.

Thanks for the various suggestions I received here.

Mike