On Jul 15, 2005, at 7:21 AM, Nick Barnes wrote:

1. RAID mirror filesystem questions:

1a: should this be vinum?  I have read and can follow the handbook
   instructions for a vinum root filesystem.

In my opinion its a fine thing that the root boot filesystem can be vinum. However its just not quite something I think is proper. There are a few select files on the root filesystem which are unique to your system, everything else exists elsewhere such as on your installation CDROM.

When you go to build your new filesystem keep a list of the files you tweak. Suggest placing it in /root/important_file_list. Be sure to list the important file list in your important file list.

tar -cvzf /home/myaccount/backups/today.tar.gz -T /root/ important_file_list

Size /usr sufficient for OS and application space but don't place critical data there. Make /home your redundant mirror and put everything critical there.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]