On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Ross Kendall Axe wrote:
I am currently trying to get to grips with FreeBSD and am trying it out
on an old Pentium machine.  However, the machine's BIOS can't seem to
read past 504MB, so I want to place the /boot directory in a small 25MB
partition at the start of the drive.  Setting up the partition with
sysinstall is easy enough, but does anyone have any suggestions of how
to diddle the bootloader to accept this configuration?

I don't particularly want to go for the standard 'small / partition and
separate partitions for /usr, /var, /home...' since I only have a 1GB
drive to play with and judging the partition sizes down the nearest KB
would be... tricky.  I have performed this procedure before (many, many
times) on Linux using both LILO and GRUB, but I can't seem to get my
head around the FreeBSD bootloader.

All I would expect you have to do is use FDISK to make two partitions, remembering to mark the first one as bootable. Then use disklabel to create your slices. Make a /boot slice on the first partition, then make a / slice and a swap slice on the second partition.
That should be all that's required for what you're trying to do.
A little over a year ago, I had to split up a drive to solve the same problem you're having, but I went the "small /" route instead, so you might be running into a problem I didn't have.

Luke Dean