Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

If you're sticking to FreeBSD's boot0 MBR, you'll have to put one on
each disk.  I don't know if boot0 can remember "F5" as the default
choice for auto-booting or not.  But one way or another the first
disk's boot0 needs to use "F5" to start the second disk's MBR/boot0
which needs to use "F2" by hand or from boot0cfg config.
Yes, it does. I believe it picks F5 when all the partitions before it are not set to boot. Once you've done the right sequence once, the machine will boot the same until interfered with.

--Alex